As you may or may not have heard, Banksy and various other artists have created the ultimate ‘Bemusement’ park in Weston Super Mare - housing art of all kinds that creates the Dismal experience that is ‘Dismaland’. Rumours started about 2 weeks ago and the doors opened last Friday to locals of Weston but with tickets not on sale until the following Tuesday, questions were being asked as to whether it was all a hoax or not. Well, we managed to bag ourselves some tickets and headed down last Thursday. For £5.00 a ticket - why wouldn’t we?! If you’re hoping to get yourself some tickets, I’m afraid they’re all sold out for now - you may be able to grab yourself some more later this week but just keep checking the website for details...
A quick summary though as I’ve been asked a few times what it was like...
- Because the tickets were so cheap, it justifies the 2 hour car drive there and of course, you can still make a day of it by spending some time on Weston pier etc BUT if you have a long old drive, I’m not too sure if it’s totally worth it.
- Don’t turn up without a ticket - we still had to que even though we had tickets and there was a hefty que for the people who didn’t have a ticket. If you’re prepared to que for 3+ hours then be my guest, but if you CAN get a ticket then I highly recommend it.
- It’s a bit controversial so don’t take impressionable children/teenagers unless you’re prepared to explain what it is they’re looking at i.e. dead immigrants in the boats, the Orca jumping through the hoop & numerous signs with the word ‘fuck’.
- The art is amazing - how it’s all been put together is incredible and it’s well worth seeing, even if it’s just to say that you’ve been and have the photos to keep for yourself.
- We spent 2 hours in there and didn’t even do/see everything so it’s worth heading down if you’re prepared to spend a bit of money doing everything i.e. Golf, Ferris Wheel, Carousel etc.
- It’s not in anyway a mockery of Disneyland although it does have certain features of Disneyland that have been re-created in a different way.